Sunday, February 10, 2008

Return To... Patriotism!!

Well I don’t know how many of you read the post that was titled “Finally Done with My Eagle!”, or something along those lines… But anywise it really wasn’t that much about my eagle but more about our country and some cool stories or facts about it. I decided to continue on about my passion for this country and I have some more things that I have found and typed up all nice and pretty for you guys. This one just might be my favorite poems of all time.

Ragged Old Flag

I walked through a County Court House Square,
On a park bench an old man was sittin there,
I said, “Your Old Court House is kind of run down”,
He said, “Naw, it will do for our little town.”
I said “the old flag pole is leaned a little bit and that’s
A ragged old flag ya got hangin on it.”
He said “Have a seat” and I sat down
“Is this the first time you’ve been to our little town?”
I said “I think it is”. He said “I don’t like to brag
But we’re kind of proud of that ragged old flag”
You see we got a hole in that flag there
When Washington took it across the Delaware,
And it got powder burns the night that Francis Scott Key
Sat watchin it, writtin, “Say Can You See”.
And it got a bad rip in New Orleans with Packingham
And Jackson tuggin at its seams
And it almost fell at the Alamo
Besides the Texas flag but she waved through.
She got cut with a sword at Chanslorsville and
She got cut again at Shiloh Hill.
There was Robert E. Lee, Pooterguard and Bragg
And the South wind blew hard on that ragged flag.
On Flanders Field in World war I
She got a big hole from a bertha gun.
She turned blood red in World War II
She hung limp, and low, a time or two.
She was in Korea and Viet NAM
She went where she was sent by Uncle Sam.
She waved from the ships upon the briny foam
How they’ve about quit waving her back here at home.
In her own good land here she’s been abused
She’s been burned, dishonored, denied and refused.
And the government for which she stands
Is scandalized throughout the land
And she’s getting thread bear and she’s wearin thin.
But she’s in good shape for the shape she’s in.
Cause she’s been through the fire before and I
Believe she can take a whole lot more.
So we raise her up every morning
And take her down every night.
We don’t let her touch the ground
And we fold her up right.
On second thought, I do like to brag
Cause I’m mighty proud of the ragged old flag


So I guess what I am trying to say to every body is always respect the flag guys. You may think that it is just a piece of cloth standing for a group of states. But always remember what it stands for, and who it stands for.

1 comment:

Brain said...

Yay!! I'm very patriotic so thank you so much for writing this!