Sunday, February 24, 2008

Ah... The ever famous swimming meet...

Well I warned you guys at the beginning of the year that you would hear quite a lot about swimming, and here my words are going to come true. This last Friday and Saturday I participated in the UV Rays Heart Attack Invitational. This meet is a meet that happens once a year at roughly the same time. It takes place clear down in Provo at the Provo High School Swimming Pool. It normally tends to be a slightly large meet, bringing in about 100 swimmers. (I think) This meet, unlike ones I have been swimming recently, is a U.S.S. meet- meaning United States Swimming. This is a national organization that I swim for, for the majority of the year.
But anyways, this meet being a U.S.S. sanctioned swimming meet brings in swimmers that are much, much younger but that doesn’t mean that it is any less competitive. But anyways- I didn’t do too badly at the meet but just the same I kind of bombed it. Oh well, but here is kind of a fun poem that I found that really seems to apply.

A competitive sport Backstroke, Breaststroke, Butterfly, and Freestyle Cool water Dual meets Effort counts Fun times with friends Go go go High powered attitude I love swimming Jogging a mile before practice Kick all the way Learn to swim fast Morning, noon, and night Nothing can stop you now Off the block when they say go Plop into the pool Quitting.... I don't think so Rest after the race Swim at your all Try your best U can do it Very cool Wet wet wet X-ellent You are doing great Zig zag through the pool

One thing that you might have really notice in this poem is that it talks a lot about not giving up, and just pushing through the pain. In a way I think that swimming is as much of a competitive sport as well as a mental sport. But then again that is the way with many sports, such as snowboarding, tennis, skiing, and many more. (Let me know if I missed your sport and it made you feel bad… I’ll add you in!) With all these sports it takes practice just telling yourself that you CAN do it, and you can do it without giving up. Here is another one that kind of ties into the last.

ExertionThe signal is made, a harsh, jarring sound.Instinctively the athletes alight from the ground.Lunging from their positions, they begin their descent,understanding quickly what 'exertion' always meant.In their seperate lanes they sprint with all their might,persevering harder as the end comes in sight.They near the finish, their energy nearly spent.They understand quickly what 'exertion' always meant.One flies toward the touchpad, the others in their wake.The crowd becomes frantic as they realize what's at stake.On reaching their goals the swimmers focus their intentunderstanding quickly what 'exertion' always meant.

-Anonymous

This poem not only applies to swimming but also to all the other sports as well. So next time you’re training or just playing around, think what your sport really means to you.

No comments: